Shipping and Globalization in the Post-War Era: Contexts, Companies, Connections
Petersson, Niels P., Tenold, Stig, White, Nicholas (eds.)
Τύπος: Νέες Εκδόσεις
This open access book belongs to the Maritime Business and Economic History strand of the Palgrave Studies in Maritime Economics book series. The volume highlights the contribution of the shipping industry to the transformations in business and society of the postwar era. Shipping was both an example and an engine of globalization and structural change. In turn, the industry experienced and pioneered, mirrored and enabled key developments that led to the present-day globalized economy. Contributions address issues such as the macro-level shift of shipping’s centre of gravity from Europe to Asia, the political and legal frameworks within which it developed, the strategies and performance of both successful and unsuccessful firms, and the links between the shipping industry and the wider economy and society. Without shipping and its ability to forge connections and networks of a global reach, the modern world would look very different. By bringing together scholars from various disciplinary and national backgrounds, this book advances our understanding of the linkages that bind economies and societies together.
- Shipping and Globalization in the Post-War Era: Contexts, Companies, Connections, Petersson, Niels P., Tenold, Stig, and White, Nicholas
- The Declining Role of Western Europe in Shipping and Shipbuilding, 1900–2000, Tenold, Stig
- The Emergence of Maritime Governance in the Post-War World, Reiling, Katharina
- Thinking Outside ‘The Box’: Decolonization and Containerization, White, Nicholas J.
- ‘Containerization in Globalization’: A Case Study of How Maersk Line Became a Transnational Company, Sornn-Friese, Henrik
- East Asiatic Company’s Difficult Experiences with Containerization, Iversen, Martin Jes
- Shipping as a Knowledge Industry: Research and Strategic Planning at Ocean Group, Petersson, Niels P.
- The Role of Greek Shipowners in the Revival of Northern European Shipyards in the 1950s, Harlaftis, Gelina and Tsakas, Christos
- Regional, yet Global: The Life Cycle of Overnight Ferry Shipping, Poulsen, René Taudal
- Conclusion, Petersson, Niels P., Tenold, Stig, and White, Nicholas